Wednesday 8 July 2009

The Ice Age Fiasco


Our Hydie does not have many cinema halls where you can sink in the seat comfortably and glue on to the screen undisturbed, munching buttered popcorns, without the fear of some runty bug crawling into your shirt or your neighbor startling you out of your trance every now and then by his hooting and clapping at every ‘hit and miss’. PVR, Prasads & the IMAX, Gold Spot, newly opened INOX (GVK1 Mall) and Cinemax, and our neighborhood Talkie Town – barely six. The agonies of a Hydie movie addict does not end there.After you guys in the Delhis and Mumbais are done ‘eating and digesting’ the fresh releases, we in Hydie race for the ‘stale’, a week later. Happened for few films of my much awaited films, in the past! Again, the non-Telegus also have to bear with the order of preference – Tollywood comes first followed by Bollywood and Hollywood.

Hence, my MUCH loved Ice-Age 3 was released in only THREE theatres and since I did not book it way in advance, on Friday I see all seats, for the entire weekend, booked. Usually, in such situations I thrust my claws out and spring at D – a woman has to vent her anger somewhere right. But this time, I decided to gulp it down and remember to book tickets way in advance of films I can’t wait to watch.

I could not wait for another weekend and come Monday and I set it up with D and our friend Scarlett.

Me: Ice Age?

D: Sure. But I have a meeting till 7:30

Scarlett: Yoga from 6-7.

Me: Great. I’m booking the 8:20 show.

D & Scarlett: Done.

So the plan was D and me will leave office at 7:30, go home, go pick Scarlett and we all leave for INOX and 50 min was decent time to wrap it all up.

7:30: D & me leave office.

7:40: Reach home. I take Boom down. I wait patiently for him to do his ritualistic sniffing before he could bring himself to poop, but he seemed to be in his sniffing-on-and-on mood. We leave home praying he does not relieve himself in the house and give his poor mother a nauseating time ahead.

8:00: Scarlett calls D to say she’s stuck in a jam and that we should take the other road to her house via Novotel. That said, D’s mobile conks off and we lose touch. I realize, in the hurry I had left my mobile and purse home.

8:10: We reach her house taking the choked, but shorter than the other, road. There was no trace of Scarlett. I raced for her house. But she wasn’t there. And there was no way of contacting her. D and me wait. [I swear to God to never ever leave home without mobile and purse]

8:20: [Movie starts. BOOO HOOOO] Scarlett finally reaches. Seems she took a ‘U’ from the choked road and ended up spending more time travelling. [Scarlett could have gone on her own, but GV1’s parking is spiral and “the most difficult in the world”, as she says, and it’d be late by the time we’re back and we stay close]

8:40: Petrol pump [Wahi baaki thaa…the car was already in reserve and looking at the time I did plead with D to go in Scarlett’s car, but D insisted we take ours). Scarlett suggests we take a new route to dodge the mad traffic at Jubilee Hills Check-post.

I ask D to slow down so that "Ice-Age" ke chakkar meh we do not reach the other Ice-Age [heaven being up there, must be cold, which is why the Angels wear as less as possible and disperse some warmth]

9:00: Apparently, all this while D was thinking Cinemax, whereas our destination was INOX, GVK mall. Which means we travelled around the entire KVR park, which was a short-cut to INOX, only to come to Cinemax, a place only a stone-throw (if it’s a giant throwing the stone) from the Check Post because of D’s misunderstanding. And Scarlett and D starts off with their “What an adventure this will make”, while I lose it and begin my “tum logo ki wajah se” melodrama.

9:10: We FINALLY reach INOX. D goes to park while Scarlett and me race up. After losing our way at least thrice, we reach the Box Office. Thankfully D also joins us just in time [but not without losing 10 more secs checking out the flock of hot babes just outside the hall].

9:15: Trio enter hall. Ellie, Manny, Diego, the two possums and a new character with a pirate-patch on one eye (Buck) were doing the Ice-Age’s characteristic pun and the hall was roaring with laughter. Quietly, we join in….and in no time we crack up......clapping, howling, hooting, falling off our seats…..That’s how we enjoy movies here in Hydie…[even when it is the last 45 min]..

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay the part about no good theaters in Hydie is not entirely true! Venture into the city, lady! :)

Ann Dee said...

Dear Ms Taggart

If you could enlighten me with vivid data, may be I change my opinion. I'm game for your options [which I'm anticipating you'll send me] and edit my post, than miss my favorite movies.

Bolo..

Anonymous said...

Oh please.. as for movie theaters where u can have the luxury of watching movies, there are loads. U just cant book tix for them over the internet, but isnt that how it is with most of the theaters in most of the major cities in India? :)

As for movies releasing late, well.. thats common in all the major cities in India - Blore, Chennai and Hydie. Hindi movies do have a market, but secondary to the regional languages, and hence the delay in releasing. Its not specific to Hydie, u see!

Try the Sensation Insomnia- it has the best seats in all of Hydie.
You can try a bunch of other theaters on RTC X Roads too.

Girl, Hydie has another side to it, and it has nothing to do with internet or Cyberabad. Venture into it, and you will see that its not a bad place after all..

Ann Dee said...

Thank you for your suggestions.

[which she gives not without 'spitting some fire' along]

I invite you to take me around the city and expel all the 'prejudices' I have been babying about Hydie. Only after things are tried, tested and approved will I reconsider my opinion.

[See your AOL training is already working upon those who come in contact with you. We beseech your enlightenment diva.] ;P

Ann Dee said...

I see you totally missed out on that one 'balancing' statement...that in spite of everything, we Hydies know how to have fun.

v said...

It felt like I was reading the screenplay to Ice Age 4. You can introduce yourself as the Gorilla - a new character.

Thankfully D also joins us just in time [but not without losing 10 more secs checking out the flock of hot babes just outside the hall].

He's keeping it real. 10 minutes is the standard minimum, by the way.

Ann Dee said...

V

Welcome back. Gorilla? Only if you take up the role of this Pig here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpvi6IKTx34&feature=email

D and me share similar taste for women and 10 sec is our average minimum.

Anonymous said...

:)
Sure.. :)

Forget the fire that came along. I do that every time someone disses Hydie! :)

v said...

I don't perform in animated movies. The cartoon that you are, you might fit the role of a pig too. Double role with dissimilar features.

Vee said...

Awwww, that's neatly done but not in its entirety... Come on, Bole toh, ek review chhapo yaar...

Vee said...

Awwww, that's neatly done but not in its entirety... Come on, Bole toh, ek review chhapo yaar...

eye-in-sty-in said...

Preview was good - how about the review? Oh I forgot - you only saw half of it :D :D :D

The adventure was nice indeed. Scarlett seems like fun :P Totally my types in terms of 'making the best of the moment'... :-)

Ms. Taggart, Am equally possessive about my city too! I do not blame you for spitting fire @ Ann Dee! :D

Anonymous said...

Eye-in-sty-in: You are Hydie too? Then we should totally get together and talk!
And yes.. that Scarlett woman surely sounds fun.. :)

Ann Dee said...

Ms Taggart

Then, when we meet, do come well geared coz Im gnna pour out some good hot lava that has accumulated in the last one year or more..ever since I uprooted from my good old Delhi. :)

[Good roshogulla-treat can, however, lessen the lava-effect]

eye-in-sty-in said...

err,not yet Ms. Taggart, but the abounding (cool) female population might persuade me ;-)

(r u reading this Scarlett? Nice name, btw!)

Ann Dee said...

V

I sniff the voice of experience [I know you're the deny-type] in playing "double role with dissimilar features".

Ann Dee said...

@ Vee (did you notice, there's a 'V' here already?)

Ice Age Review: Mast movie hain, bas dekhna hai tou time pe pahuch jaaneka. :P

Ann Dee said...

@ EISI

So much in love with your city that the abounding cool female population of another might tempt you away, eh?
:D

Yes, Scarlett is fun and deals with the drama-queen with élan.

@ Ms Taggart

So you found a pro-Hydie mate.

IS THERE ANYBODY FROM DELHI? KOI HAAAAIN? [shouting out loud]

Anonymous said...

Oh yes.. Happy I am to know that I have a pro-Hydie, but sad also to know that he is pro only because he is interested in that Scarlett woman and not because he might love the city!

Sigh... :) ;)

v said...

You prove you are a cartoon character over and over again. How can you sniff a voice? Regardless, I'll deny if it doesn't make sense.

*Pulls her pigtails and scampers away*

eye-in-sty-in said...

Now now Ms. Taggart! Dont be such a skeptic.... I do love hyderabadi biryani! Spicy and tastee! Is it the "Scarlett" chillies in it that make it spicy? (no pun intended) ;-)

eye-in-sty-in said...

And whats this Ann Dee

Tum to delhi wali nikli! Ab sab kuch rethink karna padega!

Ann Dee said...

Ms Taggart

Sweets..tried your Tiwari rasgullas. Made me want to book the night flight to Kol. ;P

Dear V

Ever known this word --- "Peace"? Or this one --- "Polite"?

[Sighs...feels sorry for V]

EISI

Re-think karna parega? I thought you already did that. ;P

[gives him her favorite snob-glare]

v said...

Dear Ann Dee,

Peace.

And here on out, I'll be so polite that you'll miss my rude side.

Nice post, Ann Dee. I really enjoyed it. I hope you can catch the movie again. I feel bad for you.

V

Ann Dee said...

@ V

I just wanted to know if you've heard those words. ;P

v said...

Dear Ann Dee,

Yes. And I answered your question in a humble manner.

How are you doing otherwise? Have you seen the movie again? Take care. And yes, have you had roshogullas yet?

V

Ann Dee said...

Arrey baaprey...

Was that V, Ann kneweth who now speaketh?

How painfully you must be wriggling those words out of you. With all that caustic stuff in your stomach, you might get a stomach ache. Oh dear!

v said...

Dearest Ann Dee,

There was no caustic tone. I'm going to be extra polite to make up for all my mean comments.

[PS: Grossed out yet?]

Preethi said...

Einstien- Sure yes. I read the whole thread! :)

V - You have lost it! I beg you to not be polite!

Ann Dee said...

Dearestest V

See you've earned yourself a reputation for spitting acid. And seems people love you that way....

All I'd say - Be yourself. Caustic or polite. :)

eye-in-sty-in said...

Hi Ann Dee,
snob glare? why o why?

v said...

Playful banter. Are we cool?

Ann Dee said...

EISI

Mera blog hai...I
glare,
growl,
snap,
snarl,
claw,
gnaw,
MERI MARZEE

V

:)
Of course we are

[comes with an olive branch]

eye-in-sty-in said...

blog tumhara hai, lekin glare to muje mil rahi hai na :P

ani_aset said...

even i missed start of the movie..but that was just 15 minutes :D...Hyd is gooood :)..What happened to "Sangeet" marredpally ? They used to show most of the english flicks